Pre AP Biology STUDY GUIDELINE QUESTIONS for " The Zone” by simply Richard Preston
You may compose on these types of sheets but once you are concerned about the legibility of your handwriting type up each query followed by the answers/reading records.
Note: Please operate independently. This is certainly one of my main request the year. You will understand more if you your individual work.
Browsing Section My spouse and i:
COMPONENT I: " THE SHADOW OF SUPPORT ELGON”
A thing in the Forest
1 . Explain the life of Charles Monet. What had been his " hobbies”?
2 . Where is definitely Mount Elgon? Describe surrounding environment.
several. Describe the symptoms experienced by Charles Monet in the days pursuing his trip to Kitum give.
4. Just how did Dr . Musoke turn into infected?
5. Which can be the most detrimental of the filovirus " sisters”? What is the kill price in humans?
6. Describe the information furnished by " Mister. Jones” about the Marburg computer virus.
7. Precisely what is one basic theory to get the origin of AIDS?
A lady and A Soldier
8. Who is Nancy Jaax?
on the lookout for. How did Nancy Jaax cut her hand? Why is this significant?
10. What does USAMRIID stand for?
11. Describe the short history of Biological Weapons in the U. T.
12. What kinds of precautions were necessary for Nancy Jaax to be able to work in Biosafety Level three or more conditions? What problems would she encounter?
13. How did Nancy Jaax conclude working in Biosafety Level 4?
14. Describe the 1st known beginning of the Ebola virus. How did it obtain its name?
12-15. Describe the effects of the Ebola virus. How can it appear to be spread?
16. Explain the symptoms exhibited by the monkeys that had been infected with Ebola.
17. Describe the structure of the virus.
18. What " scare” do Nancy Jaax have whilst working with Ebola?
19. What happened to the Ebola infected monkeys? What started to be of the healthful monkeys? How?
Reading Section II:
20. Illustrate Ebola Sudan.
21. Explain Ebola Zaire.
22. Explain the shape of the Ebola disease.
23. What is the C. D. C.?
24. Who is Nurse Mayinga? Describe her situation.
25. Describe how a medical teams worked to prevent the even more spread from the disease through Kinshasa.
26. Who is Eugene Manley?
27. Who may be Peter Cardinal?
28. Clarify why a virus could possibly be more like a predator compared to a parasite.
29. Describe the expedition to Kitum Cave. What was the goal of this trip?
30. The thing that was the result of this expedition?
Browsing Section 3 Pages
PART II: " THE MONKEY HOUSE
Into Level 3
23. Who is Peter Jahrling?
32. What significant celebration occurred over the Thanksgiving vacation in the goof house?
33. What discovery do Geisbert generate about the viruses slowing down the apes?
Chain of Command
34. What is designed by a " chain of command” with regards to biohazard job?
35. What were the results from the monkey autopsy?
thirty eight. Describe the conditions of the monkey house after the team entering the building.
EXAMINING SECTION IV:
PORTION III: " SMASHDOWN”
37. Describe the decontamination method upon leaving the goof building.
32. What was located right next door to the monkey house?
39. Identify how the crew attempted to " Decon” the monkey home
The Most Harmful Strain
forty five. Describe the Ebola Reston virus strain.
41. Just how many human beings died by Ebola Reston?
42. Exactly why is the Reston virus a great deal like Ebola Zaire, once Reston supposedly comes from Asia?
Reading Section V: Internet pages 375-411
PART IV: " KITUM CAVE”
43. Explain the author's journey to Kitum Give? Why do he make this journey?
44. How did AIDS probably first seem?
45. So why have vaccines against HIV been lost?
46. What became of the...